Rated 5 out of 5 by Rory Excellent Product deserving the Good Reviews
I had problems during setting up which I would like to share.
1. The box in which the unit came stated "4K TV required". I waited a week after purchase before opening the box trying to find out if it worked with a regular HD TV in case I needed to return it. It does of course work with a regular HD TV.
2. I connected my Blu-ray player to the BD HDMI input. Inexplicably after a few weeks I could no longer hear DVDs through the speakers connected to the unit unless I also turned on the TV. I solved the problem by connecting the player to the SAT/CATV HDMI input instead.
3. I would appreciate information in the Operating Instructions about connecting a computer via HDMI. What should have been a simple task caused hours of anguish. The HDMI cable I had used without any problems with my previous receiver did not work properly. By chance I used a different HDMI cable and everything was perfect. If a specific type of HDMI cable is needed, it would be helpful to have the specifications in the Instructions. I use the BD HDMI input for my computer connection.
May 8, 2014
Rated 5 out of 5 by pageone69 The STR-DN840 A/V Receiver that has it all!!!
First things first, I did a lot of research before purchasing this receiver. With all the rave reviews this product received it was a no brainer for me. Setup is easy and the sound quality is unmistakably the best I have heard for this price.
I am using this as a 7.1 system, the system includes the following:
2 - JBL - Studio 530 - Front Right and Left
1 - JBL - Studio 520C - Center Speaker
2 - JBL - Studio 530 - Surrounds
2 - JBL Studio 210 - Back Left and Right
1 - Rythmik Audio - FV15HP
This receiver includes:
6 - HDMI Inputs
AND MUCH MORE!!
When I initially received this product my sound during normal television (through satellite) viewing would cut out at times, so needless to say it was a little frustrating. Sony updated the software recently and now it seems to have disappeared, to say now that I am totally enthusiastic about this receiver is an understatement.
In short this is an excellent receiver for the price range and would recommend this to anyone who likes getting a lot for a little.
May 12, 2014
Rated 5 out of 5 by Beluga As advertised
I love this receiver! It takes a while to get through the set up but exploring and experimenting with the on screen menus is fun. I love that it connects so easily to my iphone to play music on Spotify, the TV does not have to be on for that. I programmed my Dish remopte to handle most of the basic functions of the Sony remote too.
September 5, 2013
Rated 5 out of 5 by TheManAgain Awesome Receiver
Made the music-loving wife happy. WIFI and Bluetooth are fantastic! Wizards enable a quick setup and everything worked as advertised. My non-tech savy wife loves it.
September 11, 2013
Rated 2 out of 5 by CMBBK Not great
I bought this unit for price/features and because I have had another sony receiver for 21 years. It still works great but wont connect to anything new!
1) On screen user interface is terrible & looks like a nintendo from 1990. Really disappointing. It is 2014, correct? Firmware update didnt help
2) Remote is terrible - it has incredibly small keys, it is not back-lit, entering alpha-numeric information is incredibly difficult using this remote (your only option). Sound field setting is one of the main remote inputs - what for??? Should be channel selection. Really stupid
3) Occasionally the system wont pass through the TV signal while it is off. You have to hit the home key on the remote to get it to reset. Why?
4) Airplay wont pass through video, only audio. Works ok but comes with the nintendo display. No artwork
5) Bluetooth is a good feature. Works ok with the phone/ipod but you really have to turn up the volume. Wont display artwork
6) Wireless is a good feature
7) Lots of HDMI
8) Speaker wire connectors are hard to thread. More work than it should be! I hope I dont have to move the receiver anytime soon
9) Receiver display i'snt good either -but this was somewhat obvious from the product photos
If I was to do it over, I would get something else. Maybe the 1040 or a more expensive Denon or Onkyo
May 23, 2014
Rated 2 out of 5 by Buckley1940 Not User Friendly
I found the instruction booklet and the remote to be very unfriendly to the user (me). Still haven't been able to hook up to my local lan network. When I get to the screen for the WPA Key (Generally this is the password for the wi-fi secured network, it will only let me enter 5 characters. My password is 8 characters.
It took me a while to figure out how to use the alpha numeric keys. A very cumbersome method.
Not at all pleased with the convoluted system.
August 21, 2014
Rated 5 out of 5 by Jd6martin Awesome!
Great equipment for the price!!!
September 25, 2013
Rated 5 out of 5 by Tiburon Pretty Good
This receiver may not be the top of the line but it sure has all the features that I was mostly interested in and it performs great! Would definitely recommend it.... :)
September 27, 2013