Rated 4.3 out of 5 by 6
Rated 5 out of 5 by photonut Sony has done a great job with this lens!
After reading the many articles and tests that involved this lens I was really starting to second guess my purchase. Now after getting it and putting it through my own tests the lens was well worth the purchase. The lens is very sharp from 70mm all the way to 200mm. I didn't see any problems in the corners at 200mm even when pixel counting. Maybe I got a newer release of this lens, I'm also using the latest firmware update on my Sony A7r. Great lens, quality is superb! Focus can be a little slow in low light but that's given with an F4 lens.
July 17, 2014
Rated 5 out of 5 by sunrise Easy to use, great quality
Would highly recommend.
July 16, 2014
Rated 1 out of 5 by ab02 Not Worth It
I bought this lens and tested it out for about two weeks and I have to say that the focus speed and the image quality are pretty good, but for the large size and only f/4 aperture it is not worth it. Instead of paying for the lens quality you are paying for the lack of other Sony FE branded options. For the same amount of money and almost the same amount of space in your camera bag you can buy the Tamron 70-200 VC f/2.8 with the Sony autofocus adapter which will give you fast autofocus, high image quality, better vibration control, and most importantly f/2.8. This Sony 70-200 f/4 would be a great lens if only it were cheaper, so instead invest your money in something else while we all wait for Sony to release more (hopefully cheaper) FE lenses.
July 16, 2014
Rated 5 out of 5 by JohnNH Stunning....
I purchased this lens for use on both my A7 and A7R - and it certainly does not disappoint. In fact, after coming from the Nikon world - I expected this Sony lens to fall a bit short in IQ compared to my Nikkor counterparts - but, in fact - it is as good as, if not better! - then my Nikkor 80-200mm F/2.8 IF-ED and other Nikkor lenses (I own a bunch of high end Nikon lenses).
A couple of very simple truths about this lens...
1) Looks are deceiving. I expected this lens to be hefty and heavy - but, looks are indeed - deceiving. For the form factor, it's actually quite svelte and handles and balances beautifully, either in-hand or attached to a tripod (from the lens foot). While the weight overpowers a bit my NEX-7, it is wonderfully balanced on either my A7 or A7R.
2) Focus speed and focus acquisition is fast. Really fast. Even when stopped down to smaller f/stops. I haven't experienced any focus-hunting on either my A7 or A7R.
3) I keep being asked "is this lens sharp". Yes - it is. It is SHARP. It's as good as - if not BETTER - then my Nikkor high-end lenses, some being twice the price of this Sony lens when I purchased the Nikon lenses "new". So, that's a huge compliment to the Sony Optics team. Stunning lens..And yes - again - it is SHARP - even "pixel peeping a 36MB RAW file from my A7R...
4) There are manual controls on the lens to facilitate your shooting style and what you are shooting. These buttons/switches activate and deactivate settings you may have set in your camera - and work wonderfully. No longer to you have to go back to the Menu on the Camera to adjust "on-the-fly" these same features and take your eye from the viewfinder. This lens was "made" to fit with the Sony FE bodies - and it works wonderfully.
5) The build quality is stunning. The focus and zoom rings on my example are silky smooth and give exactly what I expect for tactile feedback.
So - here is the bottom line... If you are coming from the Nikon or Canon world of professional lenses/bodies - BUY THIS lens if you are looking for a native FE lens to match what you've come to expect from other professional optical manufacturers. This Sony lens does not disappoint.
A little about me..? I shoot commercially and expect the best out of my equipment. For that? This lens will fit right into my shoots and style,
I hope this helps.
July 15, 2014