Rated 5 out of 5
by Jolie3 A Pleasure to Use, truly Balanced Quality
This lens is balanced beautifully on my A7s. The image quality is really outstanding. It's smooth and silent operation makes it a pleasure to use, concentration is on the subject. The mechanics and feel of this lens is simply great; sharpness, color, and contrast. This one is definitely a fine one to keep and definitely work hard.
August 23, 2014
Rated 5 out of 5 by ProArte Optimus Prime
If you own an a7R, this is definitely the lens to capture images of sports, birds, portraiture, and videos. It is the only zoom lens that has the razor sharpness to match the high resolution sensor of the a7R; for example, when you take a picture of NASCAR 51, you will be able to discern each and every hair of Justin Allgaier's eyebrows. I have been using this FE 70-200 F4 G since it was first issued by Sony for everything but macrophotography. The color is perfect and there is no distortion. Marvelous landscapes come from closing the aperture down to have foreground to infinity in focus. Attach a polarizing filter and capture rainbow trout swimming in the clear mountain streams. Project the image on a 12 ft screen to see shimmering fish scales. If you are going to attach a zoom lens to the a7R, make it this one; and take spectacular photographs everywhere you go.
December 30, 2014
Rated 5 out of 5 by BillA7S gorgeous lens
Beautiful clarity and color throughout the zoom range and all f-stops. Happy with the electronics features also. At f4 with the A7S high sensitivity, able to get amazing low-noise evening/night shots across zoom range.
September 27, 2014
Rated 5 out of 5 by GaryS Excellent Lens
Purchased the FE 70-200mm F4 G OSS Full-frame Zoom Lens to use with my a7 and a7r. This set-up works great for me as it feels lighter in my hands than my old set-up, Nikon D610 + Nikkor 70-200m f/4G VR.
The images captured with both Sony cameras are sharp and as good or better than my old set-up. I am very happy that I made the switch. I do not care about the techno stuff. All that I care about is the output and with this equipment, I can see an improvement in my images. I have no problem carrying the FE 24-70mm, FE 70-200mm, FE 55mm along with either the a7 or the a7r all day with no complaints.
June 6, 2014
Rated 5 out of 5 by JohnNH Stunning....
I purchased this lens for use on both my A7 and A7R - and it certainly does not disappoint. In fact, after coming from the Nikon world - I expected this Sony lens to fall a bit short in IQ compared to my Nikkor counterparts - but, in fact - it is as good as, if not better! - then my Nikkor 80-200mm F/2.8 IF-ED and other Nikkor lenses (I own a bunch of high end Nikon lenses).
A couple of very simple truths about this lens...
1) Looks are deceiving. I expected this lens to be hefty and heavy - but, looks are indeed - deceiving. For the form factor, it's actually quite svelte and handles and balances beautifully, either in-hand or attached to a tripod (from the lens foot). While the weight overpowers a bit my NEX-7, it is wonderfully balanced on either my A7 or A7R.
2) Focus speed and focus acquisition is fast. Really fast. Even when stopped down to smaller f/stops. I haven't experienced any focus-hunting on either my A7 or A7R.
3) I keep being asked "is this lens sharp". Yes - it is. It is SHARP. It's as good as - if not BETTER - then my Nikkor high-end lenses, some being twice the price of this Sony lens when I purchased the Nikon lenses "new". So, that's a huge compliment to the Sony Optics team. Stunning lens..And yes - again - it is SHARP - even "pixel peeping a 36MB RAW file from my A7R...
4) There are manual controls on the lens to facilitate your shooting style and what you are shooting. These buttons/switches activate and deactivate settings you may have set in your camera - and work wonderfully. No longer to you have to go back to the Menu on the Camera to adjust "on-the-fly" these same features and take your eye from the viewfinder. This lens was "made" to fit with the Sony FE bodies - and it works wonderfully.
5) The build quality is stunning. The focus and zoom rings on my example are silky smooth and give exactly what I expect for tactile feedback.
So - here is the bottom line... If you are coming from the Nikon or Canon world of professional lenses/bodies - BUY THIS lens if you are looking for a native FE lens to match what you've come to expect from other professional optical manufacturers. This Sony lens does not disappoint.
A little about me..? I shoot commercially and expect the best out of my equipment. For that? This lens will fit right into my shoots and style,
I hope this helps.
July 15, 2014
Rated 5 out of 5 by photonut Sony has done a great job with this lens!
After reading the many articles and tests that involved this lens I was really starting to second guess my purchase. Now after getting it and putting it through my own tests the lens was well worth the purchase. The lens is very sharp from 70mm all the way to 200mm. I didn't see any problems in the corners at 200mm even when pixel counting. Maybe I got a newer release of this lens, I'm also using the latest firmware update on my Sony A7r. Great lens, quality is superb! Focus can be a little slow in low light but that's given with an F4 lens.
July 17, 2014
Rated 5 out of 5 by photooutdoorsman Super Lens
The Sony FE70-200 F4 G OSS E-mount Zoom Lens is just abnout the best that money can buy. This lens is sharp as a tac and delivers constantly great images.
January 3, 2015
Rated 5 out of 5 by ezgl33 Great lens
This lens provides excellent image quality in a not too big package. It is a great addition to any full frame E-mount kit.
December 28, 2014