Rated 4.4 out of 5 by 15
Rated 5 out of 5
by RoverDown Perfect marriage with the A7s
Excellent zoom lens. Well built, very quiet, the optical steadyshot is excellent, light, great color, very sharp and made for the Sony mirrorless full-frames. I have the A7s and it really is a perfect companion for it. The lens and camera communicate a lot of info between each other that I can't do with the full frame prime lenses I use with lens mount adapters.
You can basically do auto everything with this lens. Add the A7 feature of APS crop and your 24-70 mm goes to a 36-105 mm. A nice feature. The 4.0 f stop is sufficient to get a very nice background blur. A nice Zeiss lens.
Is it sharper then the Contax Zeiss Planar 1.7f, 50 mm lens I put on it via a lens mount adapter? No. But that is a prime lens of magnificent quality. The Vario-Tessar is a magnificent quality zoom lens. Perhaps one day zoom lenses will give you a prime lens quality - but not yet. So anyone who expects this is fooling themselves. But if you understand what amazing quality you are getting with the convenience of a zoom - then you can peacefully buy this lens and have a great time.
September 29, 2014
Rated 5 out of 5
by photooutdoorsman Top Lens
This is a workhorse of a lens for me until the wide angle 16-35 becomes available. It is sharp and preforms as good as it's big brother 24-70 f2.8
It is light and great for hiking and when coupled to the A7r it is a powerful tool in my camera bag. I did testing for sweet spot and the lens performed super at all focal lengths f/8 the best but 5.6 to 16 was also excellent with f4 and 22 useable. I have used the lens wide open on stars and the performance is phenomial.
October 2, 2014
Rated 3 out of 5
by LeicaBossLovesSony It's a Zoom - what did you expect?
It's hard to describe how much I like the A7r - but one of the things that comes with it is that punishing 36MP sensor. I knew in my heart that a mid-level (but premium priced) zoom lens would not be perfect - but my hopes were high. Basically, it's an average peer to lenses like the Canon 24-105 f/4, 24-70 f/4, and Sony 16-50G.
Shooting with the lens, a few things are very clear. First the BAD:
1) It is Not a bag of prime lenses. You will not see nearly the quality of the FE 35mm and 55mm lenses, or other system primes mounted via adapter
2) The distortion is extreme. The camera will try to correct this if you shoot JPG or process RAW in Sony software - but I use Adobe LR. The distortion is wild at 24mm and 70mm - you will see pixel smearing and lose field of view if you correct it.
3) The corners are very soft at 24mm - 28mm, no matter how you stop down. There is no way to improve that. If you resize down to 25-50% it looks a little better (as expected)
4) 70mm is not terribly sharp. Actually, you probably get about as much detail at 70mm as you would at 60mm or 55mm and cropping. This means, that you really have a very good 35-60mm zoom lens, and a kind of so-so 24-28mm and 60-70mm lens
5) Autofocus is rarely quite right - for critical focus I always have to use DMF to fine tune things
1) Center sharpness is great - and this is the part that matters most
2) The contrast and resulting colors are very good, almost Zeiss-like
3) The performance between 35mm and 55mm is excellent - like REALLY exxcellent, stop down just a little to get a very good sharpness across the frame
4) The optical stabilization is amazing. I'm shooting 50mm at 1/5sec with no problem. I'm loving it!
Bottom line - this is a zoom lens. It's expensive, but fair considering the reasonable size. Don't expect miracles - it's a zoom lens. For what it is, it's an average and solid performer. I'm keeping it.
If you don't need 24mm or aren't very particular, consider the kit lens. It's probably 70-80% as good and less than half the price.
February 28, 2014
Rated 5 out of 5
by LarryW2EJ The Perfect Lens for The A7/A7R
This is the perfect all purpose lens for the high res A7 and the ultra high res A7R. I waited with the new camera (A7R) body and no lens, until this lens came out. It was worth the wait. I'm a pixel peeper and this lens does not disappoint. It's not too big or too heavy and it works so well. It has the constant f4 throughout its whole range, so if it doesn't seem all that fast at 24mm it does at 70mm. Great lens for most purposes.
October 6, 2014
Rated 5 out of 5
by KrisKnight In love with this lens!
I absolutely love this lens and the 7S camera I bought to go with it ;)
I found magic when I went to shoot in Park City in the mountains using the in-camera apps.
October 17, 2014
Rated 4 out of 5 by kitchu Happy with the purchase, though it could have been
Happy with the purchase, though it could have been better. Excellent performance for the size.The distortion at 24 mm is not easily correctible even with Adobe Lightroom
September 26, 2014
Rated 5 out of 5 by DBrown Excellent Lens
I have to say I love this lens. After putting it through some tests I found it to be very sharp throughout the len's range. Reading some reviews about the focus speed being slow, I didn't have this issue...it seems as fast as any other F4 lens I have. Great everyday lens...tad on the heavy side but I'll take that any day over being cheaply built.
May 9, 2014
Rated 5 out of 5 by redgraves General zoom for A7R
Lens is a little larger and heavier than 55/1.8 but covers a nice range. Tests I did on sharpnes in the corners shows very good performance as does a number of independent tests not as good as the two primes (35, 55) but you won't notice this for 99% of your shots. It is an ideal walk around lens and fits nicely in a small camera case.
May 4, 2014