Rated 4.4 out of 5 by 8
Rated 3 out of 5
by LeicaBossLovesSony It's a Zoom - what did you expect?
It's hard to describe how much I like the A7r - but one of the things that comes with it is that punishing 36MP sensor. I knew in my heart that a mid-level (but premium priced) zoom lens would not be perfect - but my hopes were high. Basically, it's an average peer to lenses like the Canon 24-105 f/4, 24-70 f/4, and Sony 16-50G.
Shooting with the lens, a few things are very clear. First the BAD:
1) It is Not a bag of prime lenses. You will not see nearly the quality of the FE 35mm and 55mm lenses, or other system primes mounted via adapter
2) The distortion is extreme. The camera will try to correct this if you shoot JPG or process RAW in Sony software - but I use Adobe LR. The distortion is wild at 24mm and 70mm - you will see pixel smearing and lose field of view if you correct it.
3) The corners are very soft at 24mm - 28mm, no matter how you stop down. There is no way to improve that. If you resize down to 25-50% it looks a little better (as expected)
4) 70mm is not terribly sharp. Actually, you probably get about as much detail at 70mm as you would at 60mm or 55mm and cropping. This means, that you really have a very good 35-60mm zoom lens, and a kind of so-so 24-28mm and 60-70mm lens
5) Autofocus is rarely quite right - for critical focus I always have to use DMF to fine tune things
1) Center sharpness is great - and this is the part that matters most
2) The contrast and resulting colors are very good, almost Zeiss-like
3) The performance between 35mm and 55mm is excellent - like REALLY exxcellent, stop down just a little to get a very good sharpness across the frame
4) The optical stabilization is amazing. I'm shooting 50mm at 1/5sec with no problem. I'm loving it!
Bottom line - this is a zoom lens. It's expensive, but fair considering the reasonable size. Don't expect miracles - it's a zoom lens. For what it is, it's an average and solid performer. I'm keeping it.
If you don't need 24mm or aren't very particular, consider the kit lens. It's probably 70-80% as good and less than half the price.
February 28, 2014
Rated 5 out of 5 by SudhaP Great Lens for AR7
Solid, smooth and sharp. I have used mostly Zeiss lenses for over 4 decades. This lens compares with the best of them. Congratulations Sony!!
August 21, 2014
Rated 5 out of 5 by redgraves General zoom for A7R
Lens is a little larger and heavier than 55/1.8 but covers a nice range. Tests I did on sharpnes in the corners shows very good performance as does a number of independent tests not as good as the two primes (35, 55) but you won't notice this for 99% of your shots. It is an ideal walk around lens and fits nicely in a small camera case.
May 4, 2014
Rated 5 out of 5 by DBrown Excellent Lens
I have to say I love this lens. After putting it through some tests I found it to be very sharp throughout the len's range. Reading some reviews about the focus speed being slow, I didn't have this issue...it seems as fast as any other F4 lens I have. Great everyday lens...tad on the heavy side but I'll take that any day over being cheaply built.
May 9, 2014
Rated 5 out of 5 by Bill1111111111111111 V-T 24-70 ...............A-1
My Vario-Tessar T FE 24-70mm F4 AZ OSS performed wonderfully as
I played with my new "a-7" mirrorless camera system during a week in
Jackson Hole, Wyoming, recently. Easy of handling, and pristine focus
capabilities made for a cakewalk....... with more practice I will be able to push the envelope a bit.......many thanks for a superb product,.
July 20, 2014
Rated 4 out of 5 by Redline This new lense by Sony has potential
I like the lens but it is less sharp at 24mm than at 35mm to 70mm range. The image stabilization works well and reduces the need for a tripod. I hiked with the camera and lens on dusty trails for three days without any dust related issues. This is my normal lens on the Sony A7R.
Overall I like the lens and hope there will be a software fix to correct 24mm soft focus issue.
May 4, 2014
Rated 4 out of 5 by RickyAlpha Very good lens
I love the images from this lens, and the OSS is really great. I've hand-held down to 1/15sec at 70mm.
I just wish: it costs less; it had lower f-stop. I love the zoom, but I'm beginning to wish I had the 55mm 1.8 prime instead (but it may be as well as). :-)
July 17, 2014
Rated 4 out of 5 by Bruinista Great lens
Wonderful color rendition. Sharp lens. Small form factor fits very nicely with the a7.
May 4, 2014