- Information That We Collect or Receive
- Information Use
- Information Sharing and Disclosures
- Advertising, Analytics and Similar Third Party Services and Your Choices
- Your Choices and Controls
- Consent to Transfer Information
- Third Party Links; Sony Content Found Outside the Sony Properties
- Security and Retention
- Changes to this Policy
- How to Contact Us About this Policy
- Additional Information About Certain Sony Properties
We collect or receive information from and about you in various ways, as described below.
We collect the information that you provide to us, such as when you enter it through the features of a Sony Property or sign up for a Sony promotion or contest. Depending on the transaction or Sony Property you are using, such information might include information that could reasonably be used to identify you personally, alone or in combination with other information. (“Personal Information”). Personal Information includes but is not limited to your name, contact information and billing information. We will treat information as Personal Information where required by applicable law.
We collect information directly from you through our business processes, such as:
- Registration or account creation, where we ask you to provide information, such as:
- Contact info (e.g., name, email or mailing address, or phone number);
- Account administration info (e.g., user name, password, or security questions and answers);
- Billing info (e.g., credit card or other payment number, billing address);
- Demographic and location information, such as your gender, age, date of birth or postal code;
- Information about your past purchases or other transactions;
- Preference information such as saved settings, entertainment and marketing preferences.
- Employment applications, where you submit information, such as your gender, date of birth, education, occupation or work history.
- Purchase processes, where we may ask you to provide your name and billing info;
- Technical and customer support processes, where we may ask you to provide contact info and information related to the issue about which you are contacting us, such as customer support contact history and unique hardware or software identifiers;
- Providing you services at our retail stores;
- Creation of products and services that you request, where we may ask for your photos and related information or in connection with various Social Features, where you may provide your photos, videos, and related information, as described more fully below;
- Providing you with financing for Sony products, where, in addition to the other kinds of information described above, we may ask you for financial information; and
- Offering you the opportunity to submit product reviews, service feedback surveys or contest entries, where we may ask you for your name, voice and/or likeness, among other information.
Some of the Sony Canada Properties offer community forums or other interactive features, including social gaming and social media applications, where you can communicate with others or the public (“Social Features”). We may collect the information you enter when you use these Social Features, including Personal Information, your posts or communications, and your friend lists.
Functionality on the Sony Canada Properties may also permit a variety of interactions with third party websites, features or applications. For example, you may be able to “like” a product or “share” content on or to other websites or use your account with a third party to login to a Sony Property. When you choose to participate in a third party application or feature, you may be linking your activity on the Sony Canada Properties with that third party service and you may be authorizing us to collect (or the third party to share) information about you, including Personal Information. The third party may allow you to remove the application or feature, in which case we will no longer collect information about you through the application or feature, but we may retain the information previously collected. In addition, we may receive information about you if other users of a third party website give us access to their profiles and you are one of their “connections” or information about you is otherwise accessible through your “connections” web page, profile page, or similar page on a social networking or other third party website or interactive service.
If you post information on a third party platform that refers to Sony Canada or the Sony Canada Properties (e.g., by using a Twitter hashtag associated with Sony Canada in your tweet), your post, user name and/or profile picture associated with the applicable social media account may be published on the Sony Canada Properties in accordance with the terms of that third party.
We, and any applicable third party analytics, content, advertising or other service providers may automatically or passively collect information about your use of the Sony Canada Properties. Data and metadata collected in this manner may include:
- Your browsing and other activity on or across the Sony Canada Properties, as well as third party websites and apps, and usage data. This may include, among other things, your Internet Protocol (IP) address or other device identifier, browser and operating system information, internet service provider (ISP), referring/exit web pages and clickstream data, including all of the pages and places you visit within a Sony Canada Property and any actions you take while using a Sony Canada Property;
- Your network connected hardware (e.g., computer, television or mobile device) or software data, such as a unique device identifier, model, version, MAC address, device or session ID, error related data and configuration, functionality, and performance data;
- Your physical or geographic location data, ranging from country or region, to latitude and longitude, to city (based on IP address), to GPS coordinates, depending upon the situation;
- Advertising data, such as display frequency, duration, location, viewing software, or identifier, and information relating to your preferences and advertisements you act upon;
- Your email address, email metadata, and information regarding your actions taken in connection with emails from Sony Canada (such as whether you open the email or click a link in the email); and
- Your username, user ID and/or account identifier.
We may use technologies, currently existing or developed in the future, to collect such information, and we may use third parties to perform these services on our behalf. Those technologies may include the following:
- Cookies. A cookie is a data file placed on a device when it is used to visit the Sony Canada Properties or otherwise access Sony Canada content online. Cookies may be used for many purposes, including, but not limited to, remembering you and your preferences, tracking your visits to our web pages, identifying and providing updates for software on your device, monitoring content that you are downloading, streaming, or otherwise accessing, and for displaying offers related to your prior activity on a Sony Canada Property. A Flash cookie is a data file placed on a device via the Adobe Flash plug-in that may be built into or downloaded by you onto your device. Flash cookies may be used for various purposes, including, but not limited to, enabling a Flash feature and remembering your preferences. For more information about the privacy choices Adobe offers, see Your Choices and Controls.
- Web Beacons. Small graphic images or other web programming code called web beacons (also known as "1x1 GIFs" or "clear GIFs") may be included in our web pages and email messages. Web beacons may be invisible to you, but any electronic image or other web programming code inserted into a web page or email can act as a web beacon. Web beacons or similar technologies may be used for a number of purposes, including but not limited to, count visitors to a Sony Canada Property, to monitor how users navigate the Sony Canada Properties, to count how many of our emails were actually opened, or to count how many particular links were actually viewed.
- Embedded Scripts. An embedded script is programming code that is designed to collect information about your interactions with the Sony Canada Properties, such as the links you click on. The code is temporarily downloaded onto your device from our web server or a third-party service provider, is active only while you are connected to the Sony Canada Properties, and is deactivated or deleted thereafter.
We may supplement and/or combine the information that we collect with information that we obtain from third parties. For example:
- If you link your Sony Canada account to your social media accounts, accounts with other Sony-branded entities, or otherwise provide us with access to your account on a third-party service, we may receive data from the providers of those accounts;
- Some third parties may provide us or our third party service providers with information regarding the physical location of the device used to access the Sony Canada Properties;
- If you are on another website and you opt-in to receive information from us, that website may forward to us your e-mail address and other information about you so that we may contact you as requested;
- If other users give us access to their profiles on a third party website or application, we may receive information about you if you are one of their connections or information about you is otherwise accessible through their profile;
- If you apply for or are issued a SonyCard or other branded Sony Canada payment card, the bank that manages our co-brand card program may provide us with information about you.
We use non-Personal Information without restriction.
We use your Personal Information in a number of ways, as described in this section and elsewhere in this Policy. We use the information we collect, including your Personal Information, for the purpose for which it was collected. For example, we use your information to operate and deliver products, services, and content; perform administrative functions; complete business processes (including technical requests and customer service inquiries); and notify you as may be necessary. In addition, we may use your Personal Information and other information:
- To send you product, service or warranty information;
- To better understand our customers and the users of the Sony Canada Properties and to understand and improve our operations and performance;
- With your consent, to send you marketing communications from us or others;
- To provide you with targeted and contextual advertising and offers both within Sony Canada Properties and elsewhere online;
- To perform analytics, research, surveys, and product analysis and development, including demographic studies for marketing, sales, or product development;
- To enable us to link your accounts and usage information between and amongst Sony Canada and various Sony entities;
- To tailor the Sony Canada Properties, advertising, promotions and communications to deliver a better or new experience to you;
- For security and fraud detection purposes; and
- Service Providers to Sony Canada. With persons or companies we retain to carry out services for us or to provide support to us.
- Law Enforcement, Judicial, Administrative, or Regulatory Disclosures. To comply with a legal obligation, at the request of a government entity conducting an investigation, or when we believe that the law requires disclosure or that disclosure is appropriate to protect or enforce the rights, property, safety, or security of ourselves or others.
- Business Transfers. In connection with the sale of the applicable business, a portion of the business, or certain stock and/or assets, or a corporate merger, consolidation, restructuring, or other corporate change including but not limited to, during the course of any due diligence process.
- Other Third Parties. With your consent, with other non-affiliated third parties for various purposes, such as:
- Third parties with whom we are jointly delivering services or features, such as a contest, promotion or advertising (each a “Promotion”). Sony Canada may offer a Promotion that requires registration and if you choose to enter, your Personal Information may be disclosed to third parties in connection with the administration of the contest, such as in connection with winner selection or prize fulfillment. Sony Canada will obtain your separate opt-in consent to receive commercial electronic messages when we administer a Promotion; or
- Third parties who may contact you about products, services or other offerings that may be of interest to you.
When you use the Social Features, certain elements of your Personal Information and certain information about your use of the Sony Canada Properties may be accessible to other users of the Sony Canada Properties and to the public. For example: when you post a product review, your username, your hometown, and any photos or videos you elect to submit as part of the review will be visible to the public. We may also publicly display information derived from your activity on the Sony Canada Properties.
If you choose to “share” content or to otherwise post information from or via a Sony Canada Property to a third party website, feature or application, that information will become public and the third party website may have access to information about you and your use of the Sony Canada Property. Likewise, other users may use these same features to share information about you.
We are not responsible for how you use or publish personal data through these or similar features, or how third parties use the features to share information.
We may use third party analytics service providers to evaluate and provide us with information about the use of the Sony Canada Properties and viewing of our content. Ad network providers, advertisers, sponsors, analytics service providers and/or similar third parties may set and access their own cookies, web beacons and embedded scripts on your device, may collect, set and use unique or non-unique identifiers, and they may otherwise collect or have access to information about you.
You can choose whether or not to receive certain communications from us, through the following mechanisms:
- Commercial Electronic Messages: Sony Canada complies with the Canada Anti-Spam Legislation and will only send commercial electronic messages to you with your consent (express or implied). You may unsubscribe from receiving commercial electronic messages at any time by clicking on the unsubscribe link included in an e-mail message. Please note that we reserve the right to send you certain communications relating to your account or your use of the Sony Canada Properties or as otherwise permitted by applicable law, and these transactional account messages and other non-commercial messages may not be affected by your choice to unsubscribe from commercial communications.
- Customer Preferences: In some cases, you can manage communication preferences for certain Sony Canada Properties in your account settings or preferences page.
You also have the following choices:
You may be able to disable cookies or to adjust your Flash privacy settings by visiting Adobe’s website privacy settings page at www.macromedia.com/support/documentation/en/flashplayer/help/settings_manager06.html. If you choose to disable cookies or to adjust your Flash privacy settings on your device, some features of our Sony Canada Properties may not function properly.
Some Sony Canada Properties may use Omniture, a web analysis service provided by Adobe that includes session cookies and beacons. If you do not wish to allow your session visit information on the relevant Sony Canada Property to be aggregated and analyzed by us, you may visit www.adobe.com/privacy/opt out.html
You may also be able to opt out of certain targeted advertising by visiting the TRUSTe advertising choices page at www.preferences-mgr.truste.com and the Digital Advertising Alliance of Canada’s consumer opt-out page for behavioural advertising at www.youradchoices.ca/choices
Your browser settings may allow you to automatically transmit a “Do Not Track” signal to websites and online services you visit. However, there is no consensus among industry participants as to what “Do Not Track” means in this context. Like many websites and online services, the Sony Canada Properties currently do not alter their practices when they receive a “Do Not Track” signal from a visitor’s browser. To find out more about “Do Not Track,” you may wish to visit www.allaboutdnt.com
These opt-outs may be device specific and may not work on all devices. Please be aware that if you choose to block cookies, some advertising preferences that are dependent on cookies may not be able to be respected. Also, know that even if you opt out of targeted online advertising, you will continue to receive generic ads online.
Please be aware that information we collect, including but not limited to Personal Information, may be transferred to, processed and stored in the United States, Japan and other countries around the world and, as such, courts, law enforcement, and other authorities in these jurisdictions may, in certain circumstances, be entitled to access your Personal Information. Any such transfers will be to Sony Canada affiliates and to contractors that agree to substantially the same terms to protect Personal Information. By using the Sony Canada Properties or providing us with any information through the Sony Canada Properties, you consent to the transfer, processing and storage of your information in the United States, Japan and in other countries around the world, jurisdictions in which the privacy laws may not be as comprehensive as those in the country where you reside and/or are a citizen.
Unless otherwise required by law, we are not responsible for monitoring or recording any activity on the Sony Canada Properties, including communications, although we reserve the right to do so.
We seek to maintain reasonable security measures designed to help protect your information (including Personal Information) against unauthorized or accidental disclosure, access, misuse, loss, or alteration. There is no such thing as perfect security. Although we strive to protect your information, we cannot ensure or warrant the security of such information.
We may retain information about you as long as it is necessary for us to fulfill the purposes outlined in this Policy. In addition, we may retain your information for an additional period as is permitted or required to, among other things, comply with our legal obligations, resolve disputes, and enforce agreements. Where and when required by applicable law, we shall delete your information. Even if we delete your information from active databases, the information may remain on backup or storage media.
When you use certain Sony Canada Properties, you may be subject to additional privacy notices that are provided to you at that time. In the event of a conflict between the terms of this Policy and the terms of any additional privacy notices provided, the terms of the additional privacy notices will control unless they expressly state otherwise.